1. What do you consider to be the biggest area of innovation / product development in the market?
The area where most innovation has and will be occurring is in the omega-3 fortification of beverages and food applications where oxidative stability is required. Since omega-3s are one of the most consumed nutritional ingredients worldwide, the natural progression is the incorporation into traditional food and beverages.
2. Considering the increase in information on the topic in the trade and consumer media, what’s your perception of consumer concern with the sustainability of marine-sourced omega-3s, and how have you looked to address that with your customers and consumers?
Sustainability is critical to commercial success due to not only our responsibility to the environment, but to the consumer’s increased awareness of the need for sustainability. We believe this area of sustainability can better be addressed by organizations such as GOED.
As an omega-3 ingredient delivery company, we continue to work with our upstream suppliers for sustainable sources and the discovery of future supplies, which can come from purification of lower concentrate omega-3s to vegetarian sources.http://www.ebiochem.com/
3. In terms of market maturation, where do you see omega-3s on the continuum?http://www.ebiochem.com/
We believe there is significant potential growth of the omega-3 industry and it should continue at a sustainable rate based on the narrowing technology gap. In the past, oxidative instability prevented the incorporation of omega-3s into certain food and beverage categories. Recent technological advancements have fostered the continued growth of the market.http://www.ebiochem.com/
4. What do you perceive the consumer understanding is of short-chain versus long-chain omega-3s, and what efforts has your company undertaken to educate consumers about the differences among sources?
We find that consumers have a very basic awareness of omega-3s but lack an overall understanding of their wide-ranging benefits. Raising the level of consumer awareness and additional education is most certainly needed. Understanding the critical importance of consumer education for the industry, we are implementing an educational website. This site will provide basic omega-3 information to address short vs. long-chain differences and the many benefits from health experts in various fields of expertise. Our site will link to other reputable sites to enhance the consumer awareness and omega-3 educational experience. In addition, we have also expanded our relationship with GOED in order to support their educational and awareness mission.
5. What countries are currently more evolved in terms of the consumer market for omega-3 products, and where do you see more potential for CPG firms?http://www.ebiochem.com/
From our perspective, the U.K., France, China, the United States and additional future potential for Western Europe demonstrate the most-evolved consumer markets. North America and China are currently the largest markets for the consumption of omega-3 fatty acids. This evidence makes them a prime area for product development and innovation. CPG firms tend to take a conservative view of the work as it relates to innovation and product development. In some cases, innovation is tested in other countries through CPG firms and then brought into the United States as a follow-up. Nonetheless, we see a steady trend for omega-3 fortification in a wider range of products due to consumers’ growing demand for the ingredient.http://www.ebiochem.com/
6. What area needs more emphasis in terms of scientific research and clinical trials related to omega-3s and their health benefits?
We believe there should be a greater emphasis on the health benefits associated with the prevention, treatment and support of brain and mind-related illnesses. The possibility of slowing the progression of Alzheimer’s, lowering depression in adults and improving cognitive development in children is an important category. The biggest challenge for the industry is the inability to make claims on finished products when they are associated with such incredible health benefits.http://www.ebiochem.com/